Sunday 14 July 2013

French bed

100. French bed.

My hundredth object is the bed that we sleep in, yet another example of something that has migrated to England from abroad. It was bought from The Old Pickle Factory in Bristol from a company that imports and restores period French furniture. The word 'restore' tends to mean a fashionable application of one of Farrow and Ball's light, chalky paints and we were eager to find a bed before it had received such treatment. One of Peter's former pupils worked with the company and we told him what we were looking for, a flowing Rococo style of centered design with some deep carving. He said that he would keep an eye out for us.
We made several forays into town when new stock arrived, but without success. Then I found a bedend amongst a stack of wood. "This is just the sort of style we're looking for," I said, "If only it had a headboard."
"It's here somewhere," was the reply, and it was! It has a central carved shell design and swags of roses. Surely it was destined to be mine! The wood, I think, is walnut. It does not have the grandeur and history of the half-tester bed that I was born in, but it is comfortable and very pretty!

FINIS

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the 'paint-job', it is certainly worth preserving the wood. Having said that, a classic powdery grey with guilded flowers and moulding would also look pretty darned good. A lovely bed.

    Where do we go from here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have valued your responses, Cro, and think that where we go from here is that you do your hundred objects and I comment!
      It has been a fun, and interesting project. Although I knew at the onset many of the objects that I would choose, others, such as the concrete lamb, surprised me but seemed right for inclusion. (And now I know why my house is so cluttered. The excuse being, war baby, can't throw anything away!)

      Now it's over to you, Cro.

      Delete
    2. What has your government done to help save you from your financial instability? you strive to survive and yet you hear stories of how your leaders have become terror in your entities... is time to make a different. for will have made money, and we have also come to help you out from your long time of financial suffering. clearing of credit card is made available, software for hacking ATM machines, bank to bank hacking and transfer, change your school grade and become something useful in the society. we also have other form of services such as Facebook hack, whats-app hack, twitter hack, i cloud hack, tracking of smart phones, hacking CCTV, installation of software on desktop and PC, snap-chat hack, Skype hack, wire wire, bitcoin account hack, erase your criminal record and be free for ever. database hack and many more. e-mail: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com for your genuine hacking services and we shock we your findings.  

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful bed. But...does this mean it's over? How about your life in 200 Objects??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's it, Connie! I could go on, because I am very bad at discarding anything and as a result live amongst a disgraceful amount of clutter. But 100 is where I stop.

      Delete
  3. Although sad that this 100 objects is ended I am so happy with the wrap up. The bed is stunning. And now because you are finis I feel I can start with my own list. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am so delighted that you are going to start your own list - I shall be an avid follower and look forward to seeing what objects emerge!

      Delete
  4. very good article
    visit my blog friend
    http://bioskop-bagus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Hola pase por tu blog a saludarte me pasaron tu blog.
    Gracias por comportir.
    Besos


    http://anna-historias.blogspot.com/2019/03/tu-palabra.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete